The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Gundersen Health System’s Division of Neurosciences is pleased to announce a position for an integrated pediatric neuropsychologist. This is a new position within the expanding Health Psychology, Rehabilitation Psychology and Neuropsychology Section, currently comprised of five neuropsychologists/rehabilitation psychologists at our regional medical center which serves the tri-state areas of western Wisconsin, southeast Minnesota and northeast Iowa.
- Neuropsychological consultation/evaluation and liaison service with rehabilitation intervention as needed for pediatric medical inpatients within our acute care floors and inpatient behavioral health units as well as outpatient rehabilitative and clinical services
- Populations include patients with a broad range of neurological, medical, genetic and development conditions affection neuropsychological status including those with traumatic/anoxic brain injury, stroke, epilepsy/seizure, cancer, neurodevelopmental disorder, exposure to environmental neuro-intoxicants, as well as those requiring pre- and post-surgical evaluation for epilepsy surgery, deep brain stimulation or intracranial tumor resection. Additional referral questions may also be related to specific learning disorder, attentional disorder or suspected intellectual disability and/or borderline intellectual function.
- Brief psychotherapeutic interventions to address various mood, coping or adjustment issues related to new medical diagnosis, medical/procedural anxiety, long-term hospitalization, chronic medical condition, pain management, or to intervene in cases of possible trauma or treatment non-compliance.
Consultations commonly originate from major clinic and hospital services including pediatric neurology, pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurosurgery, oncology, psychiatry/behavioral health and hospitalist medicine, and generally arise when there is a question of concomitant neuropsychological dysfunction.
Opportunities to shape one’s practice to include involvement in specialty clinics both within and outside of the Division of Neurosciences are ample and well-supported. Opportunities for subspecialty clinic collaboration within the Division include the Concussion clinic, Neuromotor clinic and the Spina bifida clinic, as well as the epilepsy/seizure clinic and headache clinic. Opportunities for subspecialty clinic collaboration outside the Division include the Neurodevelopmental disorders clinic, Down Syndrome Clinic and the Learning, Development and Diagnostic Center.
This is a clinical position with primary emphasis and priority on delivering high quality, efficient patient care. Opportunities exist for teaching, research and program development; however, patient care is a priority above these activities.
- Competitive applicants will possess a Ph.D./Psy.D. from an APA-accredited doctoral program and will have internship (APA-preferred) and post-doctoral training in neuropsychology.
- Applicants should possess well-developed consultation skills, be effective communicators, and possess the ability to work seamlessly and provide efficient care with multiple interdisciplinary teams within a busy regional medical center environment.
- Licensure/eligibility for licensure in Wisconsin is required.
- The position affords a competitive salary commensurate with experience and generous benefits that include continuing medical education (CME) time and monetary allowance. Early career neuropsychologists are encouraged to apply.
Gundersen Health System is a physician-led, not-for-profit, comprehensive healthcare network including one of the nation’s largest multi-specialty group medical practices, regional community clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, behavioral health services, vision centers and air and ground ambulances. Gundersen is a 325-bed hospital with trauma and emergency services that employs more than 500 physicians and 300 associate staff. It has been named among the Top 100 in the nation time and again.
La Crosse, Wisconsin is a beautiful community situated along the Mississippi River and offers ample outdoor activities year-round, music/cultural venues, theater, and access to potential teaching opportunities at two local universities and one college. It is situated approximately equal distance from Minneapolis/St. Paul, Mn to the northwest and Madison,WI to the southeast.
Cathy Mooney, RN, BSN, FASPR
Medical Staff Recruitment
Gundersen Health System
La Crosse, WI 54601