Why good sleep matters?
- Poor sleep can cause your thinking to be less clear
- Mood problems, including irritability, can occur if you are not sleeping well
- Poor sleep can increase risk for many chronic health conditions, including heart disease
How does sleep change as we age?
- The sleep-wake cycle naturally changes, becoming less consistent
- Menopause can increase risk for changes in sleep due to hormonal changes
- Hot flashes and night sweats can be particularly bad during menopause
- Up to 50% of women experience sleep disruption during menopause
- Mood problems (e.g., depression) can lead to trouble with sleep as well
- Sleep disordered breathing becomes more common as we age