This one-day workshop is designed to provide foundational information about considerations when conducting an assessment of people from one of the three largest underrepresented populations in the U.S. (i.e., Hispanics, Blacks, and Asian Americans) and to highlight the heterogeneity within each group. The workshop is geared toward health practitioners who may be involved in assessing these populations in a number of different settings, and will specifically address neurocognitive testing. Each section will describe pertinent cultural facets that can impact performance on assessments and outline general strategies for optimizing the referral process, thereby enhancing participants’ abilities to critically consider cultural factors that might impact the interpretation of assessments of underserved patients. This event will be grounded in the idea of cultural humility, an ability to respectfully listen to the other with the intent of understanding their beliefs and behaviors in the context of their culture in order to better appreciate the cultural experiences that might impact a neurocognitive assessment and associated care.
As a result of attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Utilize cultural humility as a foundation for working with patients from underserved populations.
2. Assess when to make culturally and linguistically appropriate referrals when working with diverse populations.
3. Apply principles associated with cultural understanding and intersectionality to guide the assessment process, data interpretation, and clinical conceptualization.
4. Describe cultural strengths, resources, and challenges in the context of formulating case conceptualizations and making recommendations.
5. Discuss the integration of pertinent cultural facets when interpreting psychological assessments of diverse patients.
Health practitioners are the primary audience, including clinical psychologists, school psychologists, and neuropsychologists.
Introductory to intermediate
Cost: $120 | 6 CE Credits
Presenters - Learn more about each presenter under presentation topics!