The National Academy of Neuropsychology (NAN) is a non-profit professional membership association for experts in the assessment and treatment of brain injuries and disorders. NAN members work in the most prestigious universities, hospitals and private practices throughout the world and are at the forefront of cutting-edge research and rehabilitation in the field of brain behavior relationships.
In lieu of an in-person Business Meeting in 2020, NAN is presenting a year in review report highlighting our activities for the past year and offering insight into the future of the organization and field as a whole.
NAN Mission & Objectives
The mission of the National Academy of Neuropsychology is to advance neuropsychology as a science and health profession, to promote human welfare, and to generate and disseminate knowledge of brain-behavior relationships.
In order to fulfill its mission, the National Academy of Neuropsychology has established the following objectives:
- to provide information and support to the membership and the profession to enhance neuropsychological assessment, treatment, and consultation services; (VALUE/GOAL= Professional Development)
- to disseminate neuropsychological knowledge through meetings, professional contacts, publications, reports, the Internet, and other forms of media; (VALUE/GOAL= Education & Training)
- to promote research to improve knowledge of brain-behavior relationships and
- to improve the efficacy of outcomes in neuropsychological evaluations and interventions; (VALUE/GOAL= Research) to encourage membership to aspire to the profession's highest ethical standards; (VALUE/GOAL= Ethics)
- to promote understanding of cultural and individual diversity as it applies to the study and practice of neuropsychology; (VALUE/GOAL= Diversity)
- to promote the field of neuropsychology as a career choice among students, thus supporting student participation in the Academy's activities; (VALUE/GOAL=Students)
- to provide education to the public that fosters healthy behavior and the prevention of neurological illness and injury; (VALUE/GOAL=Public Education)
- to advocate in various forums on behalf of the profession, health consumers, and the promotion of neuropsychological health. (VALUE/GOAL= Advocacy)
National Academy Of Neuropsychology By-Laws
Click here to access National Academy Of Neuropsychology By-Laws
History of NAN
The National Academy of Neuropsychology was founded in 1975 and has witnessed steady growth in its membership since its inception. It has developed into a vibrant organization of scientist-practitioners, clinicians, and researchers in the field of neuropsychology. Current membership totals over 3,000 active members, with representation by 24 countries. The involvement and contributions of the diverse membership will ensure NAN's continued success as a professional organization well into the future.
For more on the history of NAN, please click here.